19 Feb Legal by Design – Being IoT Lawful from the Start
he business counterpart to IoT security is risk, loosely defined as probability times liability. The current narrative around liability is centered on privacy but it turns out that laws, regulations and cyber security in general are some of the other elements in the IoT liability matrix. In this episode of the IoT Business Show I speak with Mark Radcliffe about the current IoT legal framework and the potential liabilities to address early on in the IoT product development cycle.
In this episode of the IoT Business Show, I speak with Mark Radcliffe about the current IoT legal framework and the potential liabilities to address early on in the IoT product development cycle.
Mark is a senior partner with DLA Piper, a global law firm with offices in more than 30 countries. He has thirty years of experience in Silicon Valley and is Co-Chair of the IoT Group within the firm and is advising both start ups and Global 50 companies on IoT issues.
PII or personally identifiable information isn’t the only data of value captured by the Internet of Things. Having a 24 hour a day, seven days a week view into your customer’s business opens you up to legal liabilities that must be systematically dealt with to reduce risk. Mark provides us with a primer on IoT law going beyond the well trodden privacy path.
Here’s What We’ll Cover in this Episode
- The different regulatory regimes.
- The problems in fitting IoT within the current legal framework.
- The importance of understanding the framework within which you’re operating at the beginning of the development cycle.
- The evolving liabilities surrounding cyber security.
- Why you shouldn’t think about data ownership and instead think about rights of data usage.
- How to stake your usage claim in the wild, wild west of IoT law.
- The 3-dimensional privacy regime.
Mentioned in this Episode and Other Useful Links
Support this Podcast
If you have been enjoying this podcast, there are a few ways you can support it:
Have an opinion? Join the discussion in our LinkedIn group
What’s the role of law and regulations in the IoT industry today?Click here if you have an opinion on this podcast or want to see the opinion of others