05 Feb Network Protocols like Lego
eet IoT’s three layers of protocols… the media layer, otherwise known as the physical layer or radio, the network layer and the application layer. Important because they make up the network stack that transports data from the sensor to the cloud. Important because they are standardized. In this episode of the IoT Business show, Michael Richardson delivers a masterclass on everything you need to know about IoT’s three networking layers.
In this episode of the IoT Business show, Michael Richardson delivers a masterclass on everything you need to know about IoT’s three networking layers.
Michael is an open source and open standards consultant who has been designing Internet connected products and security systems since the early 90s. He has authored a number of IoT related RFCs, and co-chairs the IETF working group on mesh networking.
Layer 2 is IP (Internet Protocol). Don’t even think about anything else. Layers 1 and 3 are selected to support your particular application but ensure they adhere to one of the standards. Customization and silos are out, and the “lego” approach, as coined by Michael, is in. To enable scale and security while reducing cost and risk, the layers of your communication stack need to snap into place.
Here’s What We’ll Cover in this Episode
- The lego approach to networking
- Key considerations about the media layer
- Radio frequency and antenna trade offs
- CoAP in a nutshell
- The Wild West of application protocols
- The advantages to move application protocols closer and closer to the edge
- The media, network and application protocols used in the following use-cases:
- Intelligent pills
- Smart basketballs
- Connected tires
- Pipeline monitoring
- Precision farming
- Smart Grid
Mentioned in this Episode and Other Useful Links
Support this Podcast
If you have been enjoying this podcast, there are a few ways you can support it:
- Share it on social by clicking on the widget on the left or bottom of the page.
- Click here to open iTunes and leave a one-click review or write your thoughts.
- Leave a donation via PayPal by clicking on the button below.
Ways to Subscribe to the IoT Business Show
Like what you hear? Subscribe to get each episode delivered to your device:
Have an opinion? Join the discussion in our LinkedIn group
What’s your favorite media, networking or application protocol and why?Click here if you have an opinion on this podcast or want to see the opinion of others